Thursday, January 28, 2010

I Loved It.. So I Put a Ring On It [My Dermalogica Review]



[source: Black Fashion]

I wanted to wait until I really knew it was a perfect union before running through the halls proclaiming my love for Dermalogica. With most of my facial products, the honeymoon is over in a few weeks, however Dermalogica knows how to keep a girl happy.

I have excessively oily acne prone skin, and I really didn't want to be that girl who carries around a hankey to wipe her face down a 'la Al Sharpton, so I figured a trip to Ulta was imminent. Amongst the rows of facial cleansers, and moisturizers all promising clearer, youthful skin, I moseyed on over to the tiny isle of moderate to high-end skin care products tucked away in the back of the store. This time, I wasn't interested in price so much, as I figured I have wasted hundreds on products chalked full of crap that made my skin worse than it was before applying the product.

I had some sort of direction though, I knew I wanted a no frills kit that had everything I needed to keep my skin looking it's best. I stumbled across the MediBac Adult Acne Clearing Kit by Dermologica ($40.00 - Ulta), in which most of the products were geared towards people who have oily skin. Not only was that a plus, but I love buying kits that include trial sizes to help determine which products I keep or shelve. It helps to not have the commitment of 8oz bottles staring you in your face should it be a disaster.

Here are the claims & instructions from the website:

Use morning and night, or as directed by your Dermalogica Professional Skin Therapist, for around-the-clock treatment of adult acne and healthy, consistently clear skin.
Begin with Clearing Skin Wash, a non-irritating cleanser that washes away excess surface oils, helps clear congested follicles and calms inflammation. Lather in wet hands and massage in circular motions over face and throat, avoiding eye area. Rinse with warm water. Next, apply Clearing Mattifier to help smooth skin texture, diminish the appearance of fine lines, clear congestion and control shine. Apply a thin layer to areas prone to excess oil production and breakouts, such as in the T-zone. Follow with Oil Control Lotion, a hydrating, feather-light oil-free moisturizer containing microsponges to reduce oily shine for an all-day matte finish. Apply with light, upward strokes to areas where Clearing Mattifier was not used. At night after cleansing, apply a thin layer of Overnight Clearing Gel to help slough off pore-clogging skin cells, promote skin clarity and aid skin clearing. To treat breakouts during the day, apply Concealing Spot Treatment, a naturally-tinted, intense spot treatment containing concentrated Sulfur that quickly dries breakouts. Two to three times per week apply a smooth layer of Sebum Clearing Masque after cleansing. This cooling, deep-cleaning clay masque purifies and absorbs excess surface oil. Use over entire face and throat or exclusively in the T-zone, avoiding eye area. Remove after 10 minutes with warm water.
The Kit Includes:
  • Clearing Skin Wash 1.7 FL OZ / 50 ml       
  • Clearing Mattifier 0.50 FL OZ / 15 ml  
  • Overnight Clearing Gel 0.50 FL OZ / 15 ml
  • Concealing Spot Treatment 0.10 FL OZ / 3 ml
  • Sebum Clearing Masque 0.75 FL OZ / 22 ml
  • Oil Control Lotion (sample)
The verdict? I loved the Clearing Skin Wash so much, I purchased the larger size this past weekend. Because most of the products I use on my hair are filled with oils, they tend to cause breakouts if I am not super careful. With this cleanser, I can breathe much easier.
The Oil Control Lotion felt great, but it isn't better than the Cetaphil moisturizer I love. Both moisturize equally well, however the Oil Control absorbs a tad better. - Even still, I am not gonna repurchase that.

Overnight Clearing Gel & Clearing Mattifier are two products I will repurchase and use in conjunction with my Ayurvedic skin care regimen. These helped keep my skin matte, smooth, dewy, and blemish free. I also appreciate that while they work incredibly well, my face wasn't tight and peeling from the aftermath of the treatment. I tend to favor beauty without pain.

The Sebum Clearing Masque worked well, but I can swap that out with my Neem & Bentonite Facial for less than half the price. Negative on the repurchase.

The Concealing Spot Treatment could have been left out of the equation, I think it is formulated for use on much lighter skin as it appears to have some light color to it. I tried it and had little white/gray areas all over my face, even after spending a significant amount of time trying to blend it in.

If I had to recommend ONE product from them, it would be the facial wash hands down!! With the Clearing Mattifier coming in a close second!

If you are like me and your hair products tend to cause breakouts, try these little tips;
  • Change pillowcases every 3 days
  • If you wear a scarf to bed, make sure you also change/wash it every 3 days as well
  • Do your hair before you start your daily skin regimen, this way you can remove excess oils left behind from your products

6 comments:

  1. did you erase my comment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for this..I may have to give these a try..sounds promising(hopefully)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sky You are welcome! TRY it...but try the sample size pack before splurging on the regular sizes ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!. You should check out www.cosmeticsdatabase.com of the EWG. Dermalogica products are known to contain toxic ingredients that are harmful to your skin. Check it out. Also check out my Web site to get information about Arbonne's vegan and botanical skin care products!!

    www.janelleawilliams.myarbonne.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Mama has been trying to tell me for THE longest time that I ought to change my sheets regularly. What I do is, is change over the pillow every two days but I will try this changing of pillow case and scarf every 3 days and observe the difference.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails